Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Big Boy With His Toys

CARS...CARS...CARS


Does anyone have a husband that never out grew his toys? I sure do! When Kevin was a little boy his favorite toys were his Matchbox cars. He tells me he used to spend hours and hours playing with them, & I certainly believe him! He still has his old car case and some of his most treasured cars.
Over the years Kevin has occassionaly gotten his car case down off our closet shelf and carefully taken each from its slot and admired it. If the kids asked to see them or play with them, he was always there --partly because he couldn't pass up the chance to play with them, and partly to be sure they were handled very gently.

When the Pixar movie CARS came out a few years ago Kevin absolutely loved it! He and Amy have watched that movie together so many times. They started buying some of the cars at Walmart. Pretty soon, Kevin would buy one for his collection that he DID NOT open, & one for Amy that he and she could play with together. :) It has become a favorite Sunday afternoon activity for the two of them. Kevin rarely turns down her plea to come play cars.
Many times when I walk in our bedroom Kevin will have his collections spread out on our bed, arranging and reorganizing them into different categories. One afternoon he started writing what looked to me like a bunch of random #'s on a piece of paper, then he said "Watch this". He started writing down from memory the names of the cars beside their #.

What started out as a few cars has now grown into what I consider an embarrassingly large collection. In fact, I can't believe I'm even posting a picture. Part of me feels like he works hard to support our family, & this is such a small thing that brings him such joy and excitement...what could it hurt? He doesn't go golfing, or hunting or spending money on other hobbies. The other part of me feels like--wow, when you look at all of those cars, it really adds up!
Kevin has made friends with Danny, the Wal-Mart toy department manager. Danny will even phone him and tell him he has gotten a new case of cars in, & he'll hold the case for him to go through to pick out his new favorites. (SHHHhh, don't tell the other collectors).
Yesterday Kevin was in Walmart, & of course he had to walk by the Cars cars... A man was standing there and asked "How old is your child that you get these for?" Kevin said with a smirk " Uh, Six and 53!!" The man said "Ya, 5 and 38 for me!" haha I guess Kevin's not alone... :)

7 comments:

Natalie said...

hahaha funny dad! and nice post mom :)

Jack said...

Jackson is excited to play cars with Amy and Grandpa when we come visit in a few months.

Awesome collection, Dad.

Jordan said...

HA HA HA HA HA oh my goodness, I laughed so hard about the last part, "6 and 53" "5 and 38" ha ha. That is really funny. Wow.

Yeah, that is a lot of cars, and I agree, that is a lot of money. But it is true, he doesn't spend money on sports or anything so I think it's worth it if it makes him so happy.

I used to be able to name all of my Beanie Babies... Now, that is something that was definitely a waste of money.

Unknown said...

How fun! That is so cool!

the Villamor's said...

how cool!
i haven't had time to read blogs lately and enjoyed readin all your posts!

Kelly said...

I see Toddy being this way when he is older - thanks for the look into Toddy's future! Tell Kevin he needs to get me in on the action to get the latest greatest cars!!!!!

Karen said...

This is funny. I know you told me about it when we were at mom & dad's, because that's the reason you went shopping after the Children's Museum.

Our WalMart had them on for a REALLY good price one day & I almost called to ask if he had the ones that were there.

I wish Marty would collect cars instead of guns.