Sunday, August 17, 2008

Exciting Times... I'm a Grandma!

Jeff & Melanie's Wedding......














Life has been very exciting this past week!
Last Thursday, I flew to California for my sister Lori's son's wedding. Jeff married a sweet girl named Melanie Swank in the Los Angeles Temple on Saturday August 9. The day was busy with the wedding and reception that evening. Because of all of Lori's hard work and planning, everything went beautifully. It was wonderful to be together with Lori & her family, my Mom & Dad, my brother Keith & his wife Ada & their daughter Kara & her husband Kelly. One thing you can always count on is our family pitching in to help get things done when we get together at times like this. We all worked together and helped check off the last minute things that needed to be done. Lori stayed amazingly calm even with all the extra people around to chauffeur to and from the airport, plan and fix meals for, & juggle sleeping spots for everyone.
Lori and I have spent a lot of time talking to each other on the phone this summer as she has been planning Jeff's wedding & I have been planning Jordan's. It's been fun. I'm sure she's relieved that all her wedding stresses are over now. Mine won't end with the wedding here--we've got the Georgia reception on Sept. 20.










I stayed after Jeff & Melanie's reception ended to help Lori carry things to the car etc. It was so wierd not to be a part of the "clean-up" crew. They had caterers who did everything--it was wonderful!

When we got back to Lori's house I had a message to phone Natalie. My heart started pounding hard as I dialed her number. I hadn't talked to her all day because of the wedding activities etc., & I had missed taking my phone to the reception. When I heard Natalie's voice I knew right away that she was in labor, & she was hurting A LOT! I asked her how close the contractions were together, & she said about 5 minutes apart. I talked to her for a few minutes and asked her if they had taught her how to breath in her prenatal class. She said "No...they just sent us home with a handout about it because the class was for people who were planning to have an epidural". That upset me SO MUCH--there she was at home trying to deal with contractions that were coming 5 minutes apart, & she didn't know how to breath to help handle the pain!! I tried telling her how to do it, then I asked to talk to Jack. I suggested that it was TIME to take her to the hospital!! He said "ok" and off they went. When I hung up the phone I was in tears...I was 10 hours away and couldn't help her at all! I felt so bad for her. Fortunately, the hospital is less than a mile from their apartment, so they got there quickly. Shortly after their arrival she got an epidural, & then she phoned me back. She sounded like a different girl! :) I assurred her I was on my way!!!!!

I had called my brother Keith and his wife Ada at their hotel and let them know the situation. They very generously offered to pack things up and leave right away, or leave early in the morning, or whatever I wanted to do. My adrenelyn was really pumping, & of course I wanted to leave right away even though I knew I couldn't make it before she had the baby. We left California around 11:30 or so--and drove as far as Las Vegas where we stopped at their daughter Kara's house to rest for a couple of hours.

Natalie called me around 7:00 a.m. with their exciting news..."baby boy" had arrived at 6:25 a.m. He weighed 7 pounds and was 20" long with lots of dark hair.









Cell phones are wonderful...shortly after his birth Jack sent me a picture of our first grandchild. Of course I was disppointed that I hadn't arrived in time to help her out during labor and stuff as I had dreamed about doing, but I was also very relieved that everything had gone well and that it was all over for her.




















When I walked in Natalie's hospital room at about 1:30 p.m. I gave Natalie & Jack big hugs first. I was so proud of them and happy for them.

I wasn't prepared for the overwhelming emotion that came over me--tears rolled down my cheeks, and I immediately felt such a special love for him--this was a totally new experience for me. I was now a GRANDMA to this sweet little baby!!





















Natalie & Jack asked if we were ready to know "baby boy's" name...of course we were, we had waited 9 months to hear it!! He will no longer be referred to as "baby boy", his name is

Jackson Keith Shirts. What a great name!! Jackson just fits of course, & Keith is Kevin's Dad's name and my brother's name and Ryan's middle name--all wonderful people to be named after!

I have had a wonderful week holding and cuddling and rocking Jackson. I want to make these days and memories last......... I know Jackson's Grandpa (Kevin) and Ryan and Amy & Bently are really excited to see him and hold him next week!! I am so glad families can be together forever!! I wouldn't want to spend the eternities any other way!!


















3 comments:

Kelly said...

What an awesome post! How exciting! I love your reaction to seeing your grandson! How wonderful! Saw all of Natalie's pictures also, he's a handsome boy! I know you're a big help to Natalie, but I know you're loving every minute of it!
Can't wait for more posts!

Karen said...

kleenex please. Congrats on being a grama.

Armstrongs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.